September 23, 2022
Available Position: District Director, Umatilla County Special Library District, Oregon
Deadline to apply: October 24, 2022 at 5 PM.
The Board of Directors invites a community-minded leader to serve as the District Director for the Umatilla County Special Library District (UCSLD) based in Pendleton, Oregon. The five-person elected Board seeks a compassionate and inclusive leader with vision, who can be the face of the UCSLD, cultivating strong relationships with community leaders, local officials, member library directors and staff members.
This full-time, salaried position reports to the elected UCSLD Board of Directors and supervises a small, impressive team. The work of the District is implemented through a $2.8 million annual budget.
UCSLD Strategic Priorities:
The UCSLD was created by a vote of the residents of Umatilla County in 1986 in order to provide library and information services to persons within the district. The UCSLD is a county-wide, tax-supported public library district (with the exception of the incorporated City of Hermiston). The mission: The UCSLD works in partnership with our libraries to advance and make available excellent library services, programs and continuing education opportunities for all. This work is done within the framework of District values:
Integrity - Accountability - Transparency;
Community - Inclusion - Fairness;
Resourcefulness - Resilience – Creativity
The current strategic directions:
· Residents have access to information about community programs, experts, services and activities.
· Residents have access to a variety of information resources through library services, programs and continuing education opportunities.
· The UCSLD leverages tax dollars to ensure the continuation of excellent library services, growing to meet the needs within the District.
For more information, see www.ucsld.org
A Wonderful Community to Call Home:
The District serves a population of over 60,000. Umatilla County is home to 40% of the population of Eastern Oregon at just over 81,000. It is an agriculturally productive area with a rich history. Pendleton is the county seat and where the UCSLD office is located.
Pendleton’s deep-rooted Native American traditions live on in community with agriculture and ranching. There is year-round recreation available with the Columbia River and the Blue Mountains nearby. This vital community has all that is desired: exceptional schools, arts and music, parks, restaurants, youth programs, a symphony, farmer’s market, abundant public lands and wildlife, and a reasonable cost of living. It’s a great place to live, work and play.
The purpose of the position is to administer the operations of the UCSLD and support and ensure the provision of excellent library services in Umatilla County by working in partnership with the 11 member libraries and one contract library.
The desired results of the position include:
· District Director – The UCSLD operates efficiently, effectively and within the laws of the State of Oregon and the approved policies of the UCSLD Board of Directors.
· Secretary to the Board – The UCSLD Board of Directors has access to up-to-date information and knowledge in order to fulfill the requirements of their elected positions.
· Development Consultant – Library partners of the UCSLD have timely access to knowledgeable consulting services, well organized training and shared information in an atmosphere of outstanding customer service.
· Professional development – Residents and partners of the UCSLD have an awareness of new and emerging trends, best practices and legal issues facing libraries.
Education and Experience:
- MLIS/MLS with three plus years in Library/District administration with supervisory and relationship building experience is required.
- Three years or more experience in developing and administering a public funds budget with local controls is required.
- Education, knowledge and experience in all aspects of public library service, including early childhood literacy, is required.
- Experience in community outreach and engagement, developing partnerships and working with diverse stakeholders is required.
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand Spanish, preferred but not required.
Valid Drivers’ License, acceptable driving record, and ability to meet the UCSLD’s driving standards.
Physical Demands of This Position:
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, bend, kneel, stoop, communicate, grasp, talk, hear, see, reach and manipulate objects. The position requires mobility. Duties involve frequently lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling or otherwise moving materials weighing up to 10 pounds such as files, books, office equipment, etc. and may infrequently require lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling or otherwise moving materials weighing up to 30 pounds. Manual dexterity and coordination are required for over 75% of the work period while operating equipment such as computer keyboard, calculator, and standard office equipment.
Working Conditions: Usual office working conditions. The noise level in the work area is typical of most office environments with telephones and background noises. Occasional travel within and outside the District.
$65,000 – $75,000 – dependent on qualifications. Regular cost of living increases, potential for future increases, and a generous benefits package are provided.
Please send a cover letter, resume and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions, 541-276-6449 or email@example.com.
Deadline: October 24, 2022, at 5 PM